Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Plan Adjustments for 72" Rustic Farmhouse Dining Table based on Ana White's free plans

I got a lovely email from a woman named Jill last night who wants to build a smaller version of my dining room table. If you're not familiar with the story behind this table you can find the original post about it here and the explanation of all the changes I made to the original plan here.


Jill loves this table but needs a smaller one.

I guess not everyone has a 17 foot long dining room they need to fill, huh?

The bigger issue with shortening the table for me is making sure the new dimensions result in a table that is comfortable to sit at. I did some research back when I was planning my original table and found that apparently people need 24" wide and 18" deep to eat. Restoration Hardware must agree because their smaller version of the table seats one less person on either side and is 24" shorter.

I've actually been thinking about cutting mine down someday and turning it the other direction if I can figure out how to expand the kitchen. Not sure I'll ever figure out a way to do that and maintain the historic integrity of the house for Austin. 

If you'd like to shorten the table to 72" (102" with 15" extensions) which will seat 6 (8 with the extensions) just a couple of changes are needed to the Cut List. All the instructions stay the same. The complete list of cuts for the 72" table are:


Dimensions

The overall dimensions are 72"L x 43 1/2"W x 31"H, 102"L with a 15" extension installed on each end. It seats 6 comfortably, 8 with the extensions.





Cut List

A) 4 - 2×4 @ 29 1/2″ (Outside Legs)
B) 4 – 2×4 @ 29 1/2″ (Inside Legs)
C) 2 -2×4 @ 36″ (Bottom End Supports for the Stretcher)
D) 1 – 2×4 @ 54″ (Stretcher)
E) 2 – 2×4 @ 49 1/2″ (Side Aprons)
F) 2 – 2×4 @ 29 1/2″ (End Aprons)
G) Omitted in this version
H) 2 – 2×2 @ 46 1/2″ (Overhang Supports, Sides)
I) 7 – 2×2 @ 29 1/2″ (Under Tabletop Supports)
J) 2×8 @ 43 1/2″ (Extension Boards) - I would recommend building the table and checking the width before cutting these. The 43 1/2" assumes your boards are exactly 7 1/4" wide (the perfect dimensions of a 2x8). You'll need 2 to make 7 1/2" extensions and 4 to make a set of 15" extensions. 6 if you want both.
K) 6 – 2×8 @ 72″ (Tabletop Pieces)
L) 4 - 2×2 @ 20 1/2" (Extension Spacers)
M)  4 - 2×2 @ 28 1/2" for 7 1/2" extensions, @ 36" for 15" extensions. One end cut at 45 degrees (Extension Supports)

NOTE: The only changes to the cut list are on pieces D,E, H,and K.Everything about this table and how you would go about building it is the same, except the length of the pieces you cut.

7 comments:

  1. This dining table is perfect for people who need extra room in their house for gatherings or for those who appreciate spacious dining arrangements.

    Rustic tables

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I only wanted my table 72in in length, would I just omit the extensions and follow the other plans accordingly?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. Just follow the 72" ones (http://germanjellosalad.blogspot.com/2012/03/plan-adjustments-for-72-rustic.html) and skip the extensions. :)

      Delete
  3. Thank you for this! I've been trying to do my own calculations to include your mods on my 72" version, but having your cut list & calculations will make life so much easier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I could help. Just let me know if there is another plan you want to adjust. I really like that stuff. :)

      Delete
  4. Thank you for this post. It's really lovely This dining table.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for this post. It's really lovely This dining table.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...