Friday, February 17, 2012

Nursery Armoire: I need color help

I've been trying to figure out what to do about storing clothing in the nursery. The one I put in the nursery floorplan was the Pottery Barn Catallina Dresser and Hutch.

It's not exactly my dream piece, but I needed something to represent an armoire in the room. (I really prefer to hang clothes over folding them. Drawers just turn into a complete mess.)

I seriously thought about making this nursery armoire from Ana White's website, but I'm pretty sure it would make my husband insane if I started a major building project at this point.


That, and I'm pretty sure that I would spend as much or more on wood and hardware as I'm going to pick up this armoire off of craiglist.


My in-laws even offered to buy it since we're getting most of the other major pieces of nursery furniture free. I'm not one to say no when people make generous offers so I took them up on it. My mom is going to come paint it for me, but I we need to decided what we want to do with it. 

My husband doesn't always care about these things, but I've learned that its better to ask and have him look at me like "why would I care what color the armoire in the nursery is?" than have him think I don't value his opinion.

I really like the bead board look of Ana's so I think some bead board paper on the door insets would be a good starting point and I'll probably go with hardware similar to what we used in the kitchen. The real question is what color to paint it. Yes. I'm painting it. I am without hesitation or remorse covering every inch of that cherry wood in milk paint.

Originally I assumed we should off with an old white, but then I saw a couple of pieces that really inspired me.

This one is for sale at a little shop called Joanie's Junk an hour or so away.


There is something I love about that mustard color. I also loved it on this piece that I can't find the origin of. I think it was from Ana White.



 But then there are other colors like the blue used on the dresser on the cover of Shaunna from Perfectly Imperfect's Book. I'm pretty sure it must be Duck Egg or Provence since she only uses Annie Sloan chalk paint.

Or a brighter blue like this one from Young America?



Or maybe a pea green like this Seymour Office Armoire from Pottery Barn?


Or maybe something else? What do you think?

Actually, now that I've seen that last one I really kind of think green. I know. It's basically the color the room was before we painted it, but that's because the room used to be my favorite color in the whole world. If only I had some of that paint leftover I would be set.

But seriously, if you have a great suggestion let me know. :)

4 comments:

  1. How about a greenish yellow that will go with the rocking chair? And for sure the beadboard insets, you could even do the drawers by adding a trim board around the outside edges.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a sucker for green - our daughter's room has green half way up the walls, green curtains and a green rug. I'm not exactly an interior designer. It also goes with a lot of different colors so you may be able to change up the room as the baby gets older. I also think white is a safe choice and you can't really go wrong with it since who wants to paint furniture twice. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh and I have yet to use our daughter's closet for anything more than stacking diaper boxes - all her clothes are in drawers! :) She's two btw.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Does that work for you? Mine really are nasty jumbled messes. I can't keep anything from ending up that way in drawers.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...