Tuesday, June 19, 2012

My life is a total cluster feed.

Little Miss is growing like a weed. An adorable, loveable, cuddly weed, but a weed nonetheless. I think she's in the middle of a growth spurt because she's eating even more than usual.

When we first got home the hospital she consistently nursed for about 40 minutes of every hour between 10pm and 2am.

Yes, I'm serious. We're talking I would feed her, burp her, change her and then she'd sleep for ten, maybe fifteen minutes before she'd wake up a want to eat again. She didn't do this in the middle of a day. Only when I wanted to fall into bed.

If you've never had a newborn keep in mind that average is nursing about 20 minutes a side every 2 hours. That's from the beginning of the nursing, not the end. You might luck out and get a whole hour and twenty minutes or so between feedings. 

The first couple of nights I was still caught up in the bliss of new motherhood and felt like I could do anything as long as she was in my arms so it wasn't a hige issue. I got over that about the same time I realized I'd gotten 9 hours of sleep in the 3 days since she was born. 

At her one week appointment I asked the pediatrician if her rapid fire feeding desires were typical. Turns out it is. At least its typical enough that there is a term for it, cluster feeding. Her advice was to make sure she eats every two hours or so during the day and hope that reduced her need to feed so much at night, As of 10:46 this morning I was feeding her for the third time since 8:30 am.

My life is a total cluster feed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...