Tuesday, January 31, 2012

How to Make Throw Pillows from Target Placemats





I made that. From a placemat. I'm VERY proud of myself.

While I was out shopping Saturday afternoon I found these placemats. I've been looking at them for months, maybe even a year or so. I don't really need placemats, but I really like the stitching pattern.

At $1.18 on clearance I just couldn't pass them up.


I used on old pillow as the stuffing. The pillow was about twice the size of the placemats so I cut it in half.


I measured it and marked the center line.


Yep, that's a bump shot. I swear it grew substantially this weekend.

Then I cut the pillow in half.


and pinned the open edges together.
 

I just did a straight seam since I don't have a serger and it's going on the inside of the pillow so it really doesn't matter if the edges were to fray. Austin got an action sewing shot for me.


Then I ripped one of the side seams in both placemats most of the way


and jammed the pillow forms I made into them. Then I pinned them back together and sewed another straight seam along the edge. TIP: if you add a couple extra pins to hold the fabric flat and the stuffing away from the seam it's a heck of a lot easier to sew this seam straight.


That's it. Done. I made both in about a half an hour including dragging out my sewing machine. I'm not sure where they will eventually end up, but I bet at least one will find a home in the nursery.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...