Thursday, March 3, 2011

Mmmm. Bacon.

Austin and I watched Bacon Paradise on the Travel Channel a couple of weeks ago (if you're surprised at all you obviously don't know us that well).

Result? I am now a religious bacon baker and I want to make my own (like buy pork belly, cure and smoke it). I know it probably sounds extreme (or rather over-involved), but I think it sounds like a whole lot of fun and a great source of bragging rights.

I had heard of baking bacon before (with brown sugar no less), but I hadn't ever actually attempted it. I used to be a microwave it on some paper towels kind of girl, but a week later I baked it just for kicks (on a cookie cooling rack over a rimmed baking sheet at 350 in case you're curious). It was A-MAZING. It literally melts in your mouth. I had a full on foodgasm.

And the best part? Austin and I both like it best this way. Since it's less effort and I get for feel good about not using all those paper towels there is no reason not to bake it.

I baked some a couple weekends ago to go in breakfast burritos. It was the first time in my life I wished I had left the bacon out of something.

The burritos detracted from the awesome of the bacon. The bacon by itself is even better.

The making of bacon from scratch is still just an idea, but there is a spot being reserved in the backyard for the smokehouse and I plan to try it out as soon as we get it built. Once Austin and I can produce beer and bacon ourselves I'm pretty sure we're officially prepared for an apocalypse or at least soon to be the most popular couple on the block.

2 comments:

  1. You should also learn how to make your own cheese. Then you have everything you need for those beer cheese cupcakes with bacon cheddar cream cheese frosting ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I am so on that. The only issue at the moment is that all my cream cheese culture is in the freezer at my parent's house. I keep forgetting it when I go out there. Once I get the kitchen back in order I'm putting up my cheese press and diving my attentions between home dairying, vegetable gardening and hops growing.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...